Update and Review; Woman Hollering Creek by Sandra Cisneros and When Blood Calls by J.K Beck

Hey fellow bloggers whats going with you all? I'm doing ok, writing is going a little slow. Like I said before there is nothing really new with the Hounds as of right now but I feel a little inspration about to come on. I think Adien is slowly coming around . The Faye Princess though are coming along, I just broke the 200pg count for the book and its about done maybe 10 more chapters and its done. I still haven't decided whose stroy is going to be next but I'm sure that will come out by the end of the book. Now with that being said lets move on to the book reviews......

Annnnnddddd here we go.....

Review: Woman Hollering Creek by Sandra Cisneros

     So this review is going to be a little different since this is a collection of short stories. So what I have done is picked my favorite stories and decided to write about what I think the overall theme is or cultural aspect behind the stories. So lets begin.

1. "ELEVEN"

     This story was about a young girl who thought that she would feel different or older when she turned Eleven. Well in the simplest form that's what the story seems to be about. However though this story is only about three pages it seems that it has a much deeper meaning about life than just being Eleven.

     I think there is a quote that perfectly states the overall concept of the story; "What they don't understand about birthdays and what they never tell you is that when you're eleven, you're also ten, and nine, and eight, and seven, and six, and five, and four, and three, and two, and one...Like some days you might say something stupid, and that's the part of you that's still ten. Or maybe some days you might need to sit on your mama's lap because you're scared, and that's the part of you that's five. And maybe one day when you're all grown up maybe you will need to cry like if you're three...because the way you grown old is kind of like an onion or like the rings inside a tree trunk or like my little wooden dolls that fit one inside the other, each year inside the next one." (Cisneros 1991, pg6-7). The reason I like this story is because it describes the way the years build up and mold people as the grow and mature. For instance there a moments when we feel like acting like a child or we want to cry like we used to when we were younger. Or rather yet we wish we could go back to the times were life was simple before the years piled up on top of us and placed the heavy burdens of responsibilities on our shoulders. The story is simlar to the saying that "we learn from our mistakes"; meaning that the mistakes that we made when we were younger, maybe in our teens are stored inside us to learn from as we get older. That we learn from the previous years and move forward in the hopes that we do not make the same mistakes again. Yet there are sometimes when we slip and revert back to those old times. We don't just turn a new age but add to the ages that we have already gained, we add to the experiences that have already happened, we add to the lessons we learn as we grow older.

(I know I said I was going to review a few stories but I've changed my mind. All I am going to say is that this is a book that should be read by others with or without my review. It offers interesting views on the Hispanic culture and the narrators of the stories provide insightful entertainment)

Would I recommend to a friend? Yes


Rating 3.5/5


Review: When Blood Calls by J.K Beck


Since I just finished this book a few moments ago I am super excited to write about it and since it is still fresh in my mind I figured I'd write it now So here we go...

Main Characters:

 Lucius Dragos: First of I just want to say that I love this name, A strong name for a strong male character. Luke as he is called in the book is the last vampire of his line and is extremely powerful. He is, like so many of the male characters, a warrior haunted by the deeds of his past. He is mainly haunted by the death of his daughter. A daughter which he sought to save from a sickness that she was born with by becoming a vampire. However his plan back fired and he ended up taking her life rather than saving it. Yet at the same time it could be said that he did save her life by killing her and that the darker side of him knew better than he did at the time. Basically saying that it would have been worse for her to live as a child vampire than dying. Especially with the constant battling of her dark side that she would have to do. This is a lesson that Luke learns, well seems to learn by the end of the book after he deals with another young vampire he created to replace his daughter. Luke's character is or course one of an alpha male, though he is or can be a stone cold killer he also has compassion and a heart that makes him even more dangerous. All his actions are done in an effort to protect the ones he loves and those under his care. He is a strong leader yet his blind devotion and mainly guilt over his own actions blinds him from seeing those closet to him for what they really are. Of course he his cunning and able to get his way, and wont hesitate to use those around him to get what he desires. I loved his character from the moment he was introduced, from the first page.

Sara Constantine: I like her name as well and find it ironic that her last name is Constantine. The movie Constantine flashes into my head every time I see her last name. But moving on. It has been a while since I have read a book and felt the like the female character has been strong enough to be pared with the male character on equal levels. Sara's determination and drive make her a force to be reckoned with, especially when she works as a lawyer to vampires and other things that go dump in the night. She's not afraid of a dead body or to get her hands dirty, especially when dealing with Luke. But like any other character she has her issues as well. She believes until the very last chapter of the book that Justice is black and white and that the courts should deal out justice not individuals. I must agree with her to a point though to be honest throughout the story she was getting on my nerves with the whole justice thing. Especially when it came to her and her feelings for Luke so when she finally gave in (mostly) to her feelings I was ecstatic. I like her character because even though Luke and the new world she had been dragged into scares her she doesn't cry or complain but handles it effectively She doesn't run and hide in the face of danger but is able to stand on her own and beside Luke. Which makes her an excellent character. And even though she doesn't agree with what Luke does she doesn't shun him or push him away (though she does try) but eventually she accepts that this is who he is and she loves him anyway and will stand with him. She doesn't try to change him and he doesn't try to change her.

Plot:

    To be honest I was little bored with the plot in the beginning. Mainly because anything dealing with the law bores me half to death but I am glad I forced myself to continue reading past the first few chapters. The plot of the story appears somewhat simple at first. Luke is charged with a murder and its is Sara's job to put him away (get him staked). Yet as the story progressive and the plot unravels it is clear that something bigger is going on.Questions arises in the plot of the story that has the reader wanting to know what is going on. So they keep reading until everything is revealed. Because I'm afraid that I might give away the plot of the story I wont say to much but that when the plot is fully revealed the book takes an interesting turn and forces the characters to truly face their fears.

Would I recommend this to a friend? Yes, I most certnaintly would and I look forward to the next books


Rating 4/5


Comments

Popular Posts