Update and Review: Drops of Sunshine by Tricia Copeland

Good Evening,

Hello everyone, it has been a long time since I last updated you guys on what's been happening in my world. There is just so much going on and so many changes happening that it's hard for me to keep up on everything. Even now, due to some jerk running a stop sign and totaling out my car, I had to have surgery on my left arm and because of the fact that I am left handed, everything is twice as difficult as it should be. However, there are still books that need to be written and things that have to get done.

So with that being said, let me fill you guys in. Well first things first (I know, I know, don't get mad at me) but I am still working on Eternal Earth and Darknight: Dawn of the Red Sun. Like I am sure I told you before that I am working on a new title called Seducing the Black Prince, which is my little twist on Beauty and the Beast. Depending on how this book ends, this might turn into a series but I am not too sure yet. Especially since this book is giving me some trouble. As usual my characters are not talking to me... and that might be partly my fault due to everything else that is going on in my life. But, my goal is to get this book done by the end of the month so I can move on to my other works. Wish me luck with that :).

Next, something I am super excited to share with everyone. I did my first official book signing last month at Penned Con. One of my friends had talked me in to it and I am super happy that I went. I met a ton of new and awesome people and hopefully gained some new readers. My table mate was the nice and sweet Tricia Copeland, she was such a pleasure to hand out with and get to know. She was just the many new friends that I made during the convention. After this signing, I am looking forward to doing more and more and meeting more new readers and authors.

Now with that being said, let me move on to my review :)

DROPS OF SUNSHINE by Tricia Copeland:


As most people know I am not a fan of YA or first person point of view (thank Twilight for that one) but I can say that I enjoyed this short and easy to read story. Light and fun, this light paranormal YA follows the summer adventures of 16 year old Nina.

To be honest for the first few pages I did not like Nina. To me, she was annoying and whinny, definitely someone who would get on my nerves at fight sight. However, this is why you do not judge a book by its cover. While at first Nina, to me, felt like one of those unnecessarily mean and nasty teens, the type I didn't get along with when I was actually in high school, the more I read her story the more she grew on me and I understood her feelings and the need to be away from everyone.

A lot happens in this short story to make Nina not only let loose a little and come out of er shell but also forced her to grow up and face her fears. The brief backdrop of her relationship with her mother and father was enough to make her a round character and make her believable.

The supporting characters were also well crafted and represented a few of the different personalities you meet when you a dropped into an already formed group. From Britney, the sex crazed teen, to Leo, the one everyone loves, to Jacob, the serious and responsible one, and the other camp counselors and the gifted campers, helped add a dynamic to the story that pushed Nina out her comfort zone and forced her to interact with the world around her.

Also there was a light romance that developed between a few characters and Nina that by the end of her little tale had me wishing for a second part to see what happens and how she continues to grow.

For the supporting characters I liked them for the roles they played. However, I always have my favorite right off the back. From the moment Jacob was introduced into the story I was drawn to his character. Serious, mysterious, and a little broody, he captured my attention from the beginning. Watching him interact with Nina was a delightful joy.

Overall, I enjoyed this light and fun read. It was easy to read with very likable and believable characters that stayed in view long enough to spark your curiosity and forward the story but not take away from the main character.

Comments

  1. I had similar feels about this book. I'm so glad you read it and liked it, though. I found it to be a nice light-hearted read and I wanted more, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts