Risky Roxxy, The Goblin part 6

It's Flashback Friday!

I know, I know, I'm late with this weeks episodes. Sorry about that. My personal life has been a little hectic this week and I meant to post this episode on Wednesday but forgot. Also, I'm working on a few projects for next year. But, I'll share them once they are more solidly formed. Annnnnndddd, I may be starting another blog series dealing with the Black Zodiac (but I'm still tossing around that idea). In the meantime, let's jump into this week's episode.

(But, I have to let you know that I am having a ton of fun with this blog series. I hope you all are enjoying it as much as I am.)

Enjoy 😊

The Goblin Part 6

In heavy silence, I followed Ayres and we made our way out of his tent. He paused briefly as the tent flap fell closed behind us. Curious as to what he was doing, I quietly studied him. He was tense. The stiffness of his body gave him away.

"Are you okay?" I asked after he'd been still for too long.

Although he said the word under his breath, thanks to my little curse I heard his "no," loud and clear.

Before I could stop myself I reached out and touched his shoulder. Other than a subtle flinch he didn't move. Something I expected him to do. When he didn't shrugged off my intruding touch, I gave his shoulder a light squeeze.

His head turned slightly in my direction as if he was about to say something, but he seemed to stop himself. A heavy sigh escaped him and he stepped away from me. My arm feel to my side as I watched him walk way from me. The burden of whatever was going on in this town, plus the new of Emma's mother seemed like a tangible weight on his shoulders.

I wanted to help. But, I doubted there was much I could do outside of completing my assignment.

"This way," he called to me.

Brought back from my daze, I saw Ayres standing a good distance away from me, half way a path that lead deeper into town.

Giving a mental apology I hurried to catch up with him. Once I'd reached him, his gaze gave me a quick once over. An expression crossed his face so quickly I had no time to register it. I almost opened my mouth to ask him what that look was for, but I kept my mouth shut as he turned from me and once again resumed his stride.

I followed.

"Their remains are," his voice trailed off. "you will see." with that Ayres once again fell silent.

Walking through the traveling town, I couldn't help but notice how empty it was. There wasn't a single person, goblin or other, aside from me and Ayres outside. Dead lights were strung atop tents and lined the path we were taking through the town. But it was the heavy silence that engulfed the town that was truly unsettling. Carnival was supposed to be a lively and happy town where the feared and unwanted of the goblin clan could find refuge. Granted, the cases of missing and murdered goblin children would put a dampen on anyone's festivities, but I thought I would surely see if not hear the sound of children's voices in the air.

A sudden dark thought gave me pause.

Could it be that all the children had been... I didn't want to finish that thought. It was too much to think about... helpless children being taken and slaughtered for some creatures dark desires. Looking around I continued to followed Ayres past vacant looking tents, I pictured the happy faces of young goblin's, much like my Emma, ripping and running to their hearts content.

All at once Emma's earlier reaction to hearing we were heading to Carnival made sense.

Why didn't I notice her pain? Why didn't she tell me? 

And if she had, then what? What comfort could I truly have offered her over the loss of her mother?

"Shit," Ayres's cursed. He suddenly stopped. Lost in my thoughts, I walked right into him.

Stumbling backwards I started to babble an apology until I noticed the slight trembling of his shoulders.

"This is my fault," he growled between clenched teeth.

Unsure if he was talking about the missing children or Emma, I took a step towards him only to freeze when his arm shot out and he punched a hole in the stack of wooden boxes next to him.Splintered pieces of wood and dust flew into the air, while small grains spilled to the ground.

"I should have known," anger and regret filled his tone.  "I should've known something was wrong." I heard him say, this time in a enraged whisper before falling deadly silent.

Suddenly, I felt like I was dealing with a feral and caged animal. One wrong move and there was no telling what his reaction would be. A shadow fell over us and I briefly turned my attention towards the sky. Thick clouds had begun to fill the night sky, slowly blocking out the moon's light.

What's going on? I look back to Ayres as foreboding chill went down my spine. I called to him, taking a cautious step forward.

"Don't come near me," he growled in a voice that was more beast than man.

Ignoring his warning, I touched his back. Silently marveling at the defined muscles as I said, "it's not your fault. What happened to-"

He whirled around on me so quickly I lost my balance. I was sure that my ass was going to hit the ground, instead I somehow ended up pinned against the broken crate with broken wood sticking my spine, by Aryes's. For a moment, I contemplated punching him in the face, But, the hurt I saw in his gaze made me pause.

"What do you know, Roxxy?" He snarled at me and my heart rate quickened.

Not from fear, but desire. Not just physical desire either, but emotional. I wanted to help him, reassure him that it wasn't his fault, that we would catch the creature or creatures responsible for this.

"You take your pleasure from us and once you are done you kill us." His face was so close to mine, all I had to do was tilt my head and our lips would touch. "I've heard countless rumors about your savagery and..." He paused. "You reek," as if to put emphasis on what he was about to say, Aryes deeply inhaled, "of cursed death and depravity. Something like you should never have come near this place or Emma."

His words, although I know they were spoken out of anger, still cut deep.

Why they did, I wasn't too sure because it wasn't the first time someone had said them to me. In fact, it was probably the thousandth time. Yet, they never stung the way Ayres's did. Add to that he didn't think I was worth of his daughter and I dancing with full on heartbreak.

Again, as potpourris idea, given who I was and the situation. I was tempted to lash back out at him, this angry goblin, who continuously put out a air of primal appeal that made me swoon despite the fact I was pissed off. However, I didn't give in to my darker side.

Reaching up, I cupped his face. As if I was soothing a wild beast, I told him it was alright, that it wasn't his fault. His nostrils flared again and his gaze dropped to my lips. A shiver of anticipation went down my spine.

I should kiss him. I thought.

I wanted it and there was no doubt in my mind that he wanted to as well.

I didn't. The sane and rational part of my mind still in control, warned that this was not the time nor the place.

Caressing his sculpted jaw with one hand, the stubble of his growing beard tickling my palm, I said, "We will solve this problem together."

Another dark expression crossed his face. Just as I expected he would, my angry goblin, pulled away from me. My heart sank as I was once again forced to watch his back as he walked away.

When will you learn.

"Stop lagging behind." He suddenly called to me and I looked to find he had waited for me, that brooding expression still plastered on his face.

Unable to stop the smile from spreading across my face, I jogged to catch up to Aryes.

He gave me another one of those hot once overs and then motioned his head, "this way."

-TO BE CONTINUED-

I don't know about you guys, but I already like Aryes.

Tune in next week for a new episode.


Comments

Popular Posts