The Goblin Part 3 (New Episode Every Wednesday)

The Goblin Part 3

The evening train ride to the outskirts of town was a quiet one. Well past 1 AM most of the trains occupants asleep. The only sounds to be heard was that of the train's engine and its wheels as they rolled along the tracks. Emma lay comfortably with her head in my lap, soft snores escaping her every so often. Several times the conductor had asked if I wanted help moving her. Each time, I'd gently shake my head. Emma clinging to me in her sleep was nothing new. It was something she'd done since the day she'd moved in with me. At first it was most likely to chase away her nightmares of the dungeon. Despite having her own bed, that was more comfortable than mine, she'd sneak into my room in the middle of the night. The first few times I'd felt the slight shift of weight on the mattress and the heat of another's body, it had surprised me and I jerked awake. Sure that some nasty creature had found me. But, it had only been Emma. My small and gentle goblin child with her slender arms wrapped around me while she nestled as close as she could against me.

"Emma," I'd call to her as I stroked her head.

Her response would always be a half sleep moan that managed to put a smile on my face every time I heard it.

"You should sleep in your own bed." I'd tell her each night but we both knew that wasn't going to happen. Not when I held on to her as tight as she held on to me. It wasn't long before I gave in. Most times she'd wait for me to come in, the sheets folded back as she read one of the books I kept in my little library in the corner of the bedroom.

She was a inquisitive one, my Emma, yet the power that seemed to constantly hum around her was nothing to laugh at.

How did the ghouls capture her? I wondered for the thousandth time. Had she only unleashed a fraction of what I'd seen back in the dungeon, she could have easily escaped their clutches.

A low moan drifted into my ears. Shifting in her sleep Emma tried to snuggle closer to me. As she moved our jackets began to slip off her. She shivered in her thin T-shirt and I quickly recovered her and turned my attention back out the window.

Night's darkness filled my vision as my mind wondered.

We've left the city. 

Dense clouds, created from the hustle and bustle of those constantly on the move in the inner city gave way to a crisp and clear sky that allowed for the twinkling of stars that I hadn't seen in a long time.

Her father is the leader of Carnival, huh. 

Well, wasn't that an interesting discovery. It would explain why I hadn't been able to locate her family. While I've never been to Carnival, I've heard my far share about the traveling goblin town. One of three traveling goblin towns, it offered shelter to goblins that were considered a danger or "other" even within the supernatural world. It was said to be a dangerous and vile city, lead by one of the most powerful goblins seen within the last century. An urban legend within the goblin world most of their kind steered clear of the city, however, that was not the case when it came to the other paranormal creatures. Particularly Ghouls and Vampires, their never ending quest for power often lured them to attack the town when it stayed in one place too long, which often lead to a massacre.

Or so the stories went anyway. This was all hearsay and often times came from the most unreliable able of sources. However, I couldn't dismiss that this mysterious town had a connection with the ghouls sudden movements and Midus's return. Running into the ghoul King was never by accident.

Again, that dark foreboding weight that was starting to make itself permanent settled over me. Inadvertently, my gaze went to Emma through her reflection in the window. She said she'd wanted to see her father before we left. Other than confirming that he was in Carnival, she wouldn't say much else about him. Going oddly tight lipped when she loved to talk to me about any and everything else.

Secrets, the world I once knew like the back of my hand was suddenly buried in secrets. Each one slowly revealing it's self and adding to a never ending puzzle that was draining my energy with each new piece I fitted together.

A simple break was all I wanted and yet it constantly alluded me. With a heavy sigh that contained the weight of my responsibilities, I laid my head back against the cushion of the seat. Closing my eyes, I cleared my mind. I'd have the answers to my questions sooner rather than later. That thought in my mind, I drifted to sleep.

The screeching of the train wheels woke me up the next morning. Lifting heavy lids I found Emma sitting next to me, her nose buried in a book while my jacket lay across my lap. A waking yawn suddenly escaped me and my body voluntarily stretched which prompted Emma to finally look at me, although I'm sure she knew the moment I'd waken it.

"Did you have a good sleep?" my little goblin asked.

Offering a smile, I answered, "the best, how about you?"

She smiled, I noted that it didn't reach her eyes but remained quiet as she answered, "me too."

Something was wrong with Emma. Was she feeling nervous now that we were closer to reuniting her with her father?

I had no idea but there was no turning back now. As the train came to a complete stop, I patted her gently on the head, saying, "it's going to be okay. I won't let anything happen to you."

This time when she smiled it was genuine and in a much happier voice, Emma responded, "I know."

"Let's get going." I said and got to my feet. Emma followed. Quickly we gathered our bags and lined up by the doors.

The doors dinged and a red light flashed a moment before the train doors parted. I grabbed on to Emma's hand, interlocking our fingers, as I led her out the train and on to the platform.

An open train station that offered no protection from the sun. I pulled my shades from the pocket of my jacket and gave them to Emma before taking my spare out my backpack and putting them on.

"Alright," I said with a little too much excitement as I once again shouldered my backpack. "The stable is about a half hour's walk from here and then its another few hours ride. Are you ready?" I said looking down at my companion.

The expression on Emma's face had turned serious once again. Her response was a firm, "yes," and then, much to my surprise, she took the first step forward.

This is going to be fun. I though as I followed Emma out the train station.

Comments

Popular Posts