The Goblin Part 11

The Goblin Part 11


"What do you mean Emma's gone?" I asked, my gaze narrowing on Ayres.

"She wasn't in my bed when I got back. There was..." Ayres paused, a dark fury flashing in his eyes that caused dread to slither its way through my body "Several droplets of blood on the sheets and the floor." Again, Ayres paused and I listened, silently brewing in the depths of my fury.

The thought that some vile creature had dared to lay its vile hands-on Emma threatened to send me over the edge. Blood-lust and the need for carnage sung to me, begging for me to indulge in those terrible desires.

Not yet. 

But soon. The moment we found the creature that had taken Emma, I would unleash the full weight of my anger. But first, I needed to hear what else Ayres had found when he went back to his tent. It was clear by the way his brows drew together in frustration that he had something more to say.

"Beside the bed were muddy footprints that led out a hole in the back of the tent. I followed them to the edge of the forest, where they disappeared. I've been wandering around trying to catch Emma's scent or a whiff of the monster that took her. Instead, I found you in the state you were in."

I nodded, and then said, "help me to my feet."

Those intense eyes of his gave me a quick once over before he took me by the arm and helped me to my feet. Lightheaded and unsteady I swayed but caught myself. Pressing my hands against Ayres's chest, I used his body as an anchor. His arms wrapped around me and I was thankful for the extra support. Not because I was feeling weak. His presence kept me grounded. The clearer my mind became, the louder the sinister voice in my head became, the harder it was for me to keep my dwindling sanity.

With my head buried in his chest, I took several deep breaths. Trying my best to steady my racing heart. Useless efforts because at the forefront of my mind remained the fact that Emma was missing. And with each passing moment, she was getting farther away from us.

"Roxanne," Ayres's deep rumble of a voice echoed around me, penetrating the chaos inside my mind. "If we are going to find Emma, I need you to be focused. Do you hear me?" He tilted my head, forcing me to meet his gaze. "I need you with me."

I nodded and forced myself out of his embrace. Instantly, my body missed his warmth.

"What were you following earlier?" Ayres's suddenly asked.

"There was..." my voice trailed off as a subtle glow of light peeking out from the bushes behind Ayres's drew my attention. "Behind you," I whispered, then gave a pointed stare over his shoulder.

Slowly, he turned to look over his shoulder and then turned back to me. His face a mask of confusion.  "I don't see anything."

Peering into the light, that had begun to shape and take form, I told Ayres, "behind you is the spirit of one of the dead children."

The little goblin child waved to me, beckoning me to follow behind its corporeal form as it began to drift back into the trees of the forest.

"Follow me." I didn't wait for him to respond as I stepped around him and followed after the ghost child.

The small figured bounced through the forest, humming an eerie tune as it lured us deeper into the forest. It wasn't long before the trees of the forest began to thin and an opening appeared. Suddenly, the child stopped and turned on me.

I froze causing Aryes to stop short behind me.

"What..."

"Shhh," I cut him off. My gaze focused on the sight before me.

The ghost was... crying?

But not normal tears. Bright red streaks stained the phantom's face. Strands of luminescent hair blew in a non-existent breeze. And then, the metallic scent of fresh blood filled the air, drawing me forward.

There... A small voice echoed softly in my head. In front of me, the goblin child outstretched its arm. My gaze followed and landed at the entrance of a cave.

There the beast sleeps in preparation for its feeding...

Just as instantaneously as it appeared the child was gone.


-TO BE CONTINUED-

Stay tuned for next week's episode.




Comments

Popular Posts